"Pozzolengo is the last natural balcony in an expanse of countryside otherwise known as the Lugana grape-growing zone, nestling between the Morainic hills at the corner of three provinces: Brescia, Mantua and Verona. Low-lying plains alternate with rows of poplar and willow trees, planes and elms in more humid areas, and natural vegetation and crops. Nearby Lake Garda softens the climate, allowing a number of different plant species and animals to thrive. The castle looms large over the town, standing tall at the top of mount Fluno and built around the turn of the century; a fortified mediaeval hamlet community continues to thrive inside its walls. The attractions of the hamlet include the Saint Lawrence parish church, built in 1510 and located in the centre, by the Palazzo Gelmetti town hall. Inside the church is a 17th century organ and a selection of prestigious canvases. Other local architectural jewels are the Piavoli and Brighenti stately homes. In the 1800s, Pozzolengo was the site of many Risorgimento battles which ultimately won Italy its independence and subsequent Unification; notable among these was the battle of San Martino and Solferino on 24 June 1859 which ended the Second War of Italian Independence. Past and present live happily side-by-side in Pozzolengo, with a contemporary vibe brought by a brand new hotel complex - Chervo' Golf - that has become a favourite with the golf set. Set against the green Morainic hills, the hotel has an ancient 12th century abbey inside the grounds. "
Pozzolengo is the last natural balcony in an expanse of countryside otherwise known as the Lugana grape-growing zone, nestling between the Morainic hills at the corner of three provinces: Brescia, Mantua and Verona